Saturday, April 27, 2013

Keep It Simple, Sweetheart!

Simplicity is a quality and a choice. It relates to the way we do things and although it sounds simple, it is a very complex thing! I love the expression “Keep it simple sweetheart.” This in many ways relates to my current cooking style. When I bake a cake people often ask me if I made it from “scratch”. Have you ever wondered why we ask that question? Perhaps it is because we want to know if it is something we would like to tackle. Or, do we think it tastes better when we know how it was made?

I have found that simplicity is not lazy, in fact, it is downright clever. There were times, as a wife and mother, that I spent much time in the kitchen over a cookbook while finding my way through very complex recipes. Yes, it was worth the time. However, at this juncture in my life I want to have more time to do more things. And so, I have devised some simple short cuts in my kitchen.

For baking, I see no reason not to use packaged cake mix as a base. It has no more or no less ingredients than the ones I would assemble anyways except it takes about one tenth of the time and effort. From there, I add many ingredients which make it my own creation. For salads, I have discovered salad bars in various stores where I can buy washed, cut, grated and chopped ingredients that I can use for salads, vegetable side dishes and for main dishes as well. In the meat section of the store I can use fajita mix sold all cut and ready to go in order for stir fry, soups and stews.

In honor of Mother's Day I am presenting to you a simple and delicious recipe that is fun to make and great to make for mom or whomever. I love making this for myself and so, this recipe serves two. To make for more, just double or triple the ingredients. Whatever you do, please enjoy!
 
CHICKEN STIR FRY

One whole chicken breast, boned, skinned and cut into strips
(option: I use 4 boned & skinned chicken thighs which I buy at the meat market)
Garlic powder, ground ginger, salt and pepper
Olive oil
1 tsp minced ginger or to taste (option: Japanese pickled ginger)
2 large garlic cloves, minced
¼ cup cilantro, rough chopped
Soy sauce to taste
1 cup trimmed snow peas cut diagonally
2 cups shredded cabbage
2 cups grated carrots
½ bell pepper, cut into strips

1. Cook a pot of brown or white rice.

2. Season chicken with spices and let sit for about 10 or so minutes.

3. Heat a non-stick skillet and then, using a small amount of olive oil, stir fry the cut chicken over medium heat with the ginger, garlic, and cilantro for a few minutes until chicken starts to brown but is not cooked.

4. Add the snow peas, cabbage, carrots and bell pepper and stir fry until all ingredients are tender and chicken is cooked. (Be careful not to overcook).

5. Add small amount of soy sauce right into pan and mix, taste, and adjust seasonings.

6. Serve with rice.



No comments:

Post a Comment